Archive for May, 2011
Just doing a bit of searching and ran across a short blog post by me 😉 dated July 9, 2006. What made this interesting to me is:
A – I had deleted the post a long time ago.
B – I THOUGHT I no longer had a blog account w/that particular provider/service!
It just goes to show you it is impossible to get rid of something once it hits the “net”!
FYI – Here’s the post:
Why do companies not put as much priority on their CRM system as they do on their other systems?
I’ve heard lots of reasons. Here are a few:
“.. everyone knows CRM is a money pit…”
“.. CRM is too complicated and wastes my sales/marketing/support team’s time…”
“..IT has more important things to do – like maintaining the email server…”
Certainly financials does not get this type of “backseat” service! Is it because a financial system is basically a “legal requirement” and a CRM system is not? I’m sure the argument can be made that CRM is just as mission-critical as financials.
If you use the SalesLogix LAN/Windows client (or did use it) and now converted to using the web and/or new html5 mobile web application, you might have noticed your private/personal Accounts/Contacts are giving you some problems. Specifically, you cannot get to them.
Before I delve into the specifics, let’s first understand just what makes records Personal/Private and what it really means. If you open up the SalesLogix (LAN/Windows based) SalesLogix Administrator Application and then edit a SalesLogix user, you will see a “tab” called “Security”. If you switch the Entity name to CONTACT (by default you normally see ACCOUNT), there are three “allows”:
a – Delete CONTACT (typically un-checked)
b – Add Contact (typically checked)
c – Add Personal Contacts (may or may not be checked)
It is this last one we are talking about – Add Personal Contacts. Personal contacts are private. The ownership should show up as “username (Pr)” (ex: Smith, Sam (Pr)) rather than “username”/”TeamName”/Everyone. The only one who can “see” personal contacts is the specific user who created/owns them. You cannot grant any right/access to personal contacts to any other user (with the exception of “admin” who sees all because basically, admin has no security associated with it).
So what do you do with personal/private records? You use them for things like the guy who fixes your car, spouse, dentist, doctor, etc. This way you can schedule activities with them and have it show up in your calendar. On the business side I’ve seen them used for the 3rd party auditor, etc. anyone that the ceo/cfo needs to have in the system and not allow any other user to be able access (or even know the information is there). There are lots of potential uses. I’ve used them for years.
Here is where the problem/issue manifests itself: If you:
A – Open the SalesLogix Web client
B – Click on Accounts in the NavBar
C – Display All Accounts (easiest way) in ListView
D- Scroll down to an account you know is the Account for a Personal/Private contact
Notice that the “Owner column/field is either “blank” or says “unknown”. Now click on the Account name to go to a detail view. You will hit an error that says:
“We apologize for the inconvenience, but your request cannot be completed. No row with the given identifier exists[Sage.SalesLogix.Security.Owner#…………] ” (………… is the value from the SecCodeID (owner) field – it is a USERID). Attempting to go after the Contact record in a like manner gives you the exact same result.
Now let us try the new html5 mobile web application. When attempting to access either the Account or Contact will pop a dialog that says:
“A server error occured while requesting data.”
DISCLAIMER – The following gets very “techie” and is should not be attempted by anyone who does not have a thorough understanding of SalesLogix. Even experienced SalesLogix administrators and/or developers should runs tests on an off-line/dev copy of their system before attempting to implement this. You blow it up – not my problem.
Now that we have identified the problem, is there a solution/fix for it? In short – there IS a way (quick work-around) to “fix it”. It simply involves adding a record to the SECCODE (Sage SalesLogix “main” security) table for each SalesLogix user. Specifically, here is a sample (All disclaimers are herby being invoked at this time!) piece of SQL that will do it:
INSERT INTO SECCODE (SECCODEID, SECCODEDESC,SECCODETYPE)
Values(TheUsersUserID,’LastName, FirstName (Pr)’,’U’)
WARNING: The above SQL represents a possible user but not a user in YOUR system – do NOT take/use the above literally!
The above SQL must be invoked via the SalesLogix Provider in order for it to both synchronize (for people who use remote(s) as well as top have additional fields filled in properly. For those who do not want to try this themselves (with raw SQL), we have developed a very simple tool to do the job for you.
If you want to obtain a FREE copy of this tool, just drop an email (using your business email address and a phone number) to me: firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you a link to be able to download it with instructions on how to use it. Oh yes, it comes w/complete source and you cannot sell it to anyone.. it’s “Free”.